ABOUT THE JOB:
You will be a crucial part of our team, primarily helping to appraise flood risk mitigation schemes. You will have the opportunity to get involved in all aspects of economic appraisal of options, including integrated urban drainage modelling, baseline flood risk analysis, concept design of mitigation options, cost-benefit analysis, risk and uncertainty analysis and stakeholder engagement. In addition, you may have the opportunity to contribute to our emerging ecology and biodiversity offering or to get involved with one of the exciting projects on our research and development programme.
One of the many benefits of working in a small consultancy is the exposure you will get to every stage of our projects, from inception through to completion. You will be involved in business development, have opportunities at an early stage to gain project management experience.
Our senior team are trained mentors and we will support you through your professional development to meet you own objectives, whether they are chartership with the ICE, CIWEM or any other institution. With the varied experience you gain working with a small company, we have demonstrated that it is possible to become chartered more quickly than you may do on a graduate scheme at a large consultancy.
You should hold a relevant civil or environmental engineering degree or masters level qualification and be able to demonstrate a strong mathematical background. Our preference is for an individual with between 1 and 3 years’ work experience in a related field.
We are seeking engineers that are interested in developing a career in Flood Risk Management, with the skillset to thrive in a small and dynamic team. Candidates must have:
- A broad interest in flood risk management and environmental engineering
- A demonstrable appetite for learning and developing your career further
- An interest in development and implementation of flood risk management policy and strategy
- An analytical mindset and ability to problem solve and think logically
- Ability to independently spot and act on opportunities for projects
- Sound technical ability in flood management and drainage principles
- Skills to work within a team and operate independently with confidence
- An understanding of business case concepts and how these fit within the public sector
- Flair for innovation and thinking differently
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Competency with Microsoft Office applications
The following are desirable attributes:
- Experience using InfoWorks ICM, Flood Modeller, TuFlow or XP STORM
- Experience using QGIS or ArcGIS
- Ability to code in any programming language
- Experience or interest in biodiversity and ecology
- Experience or interest in novel approaches to decision making and optimisation including those using artificial intelligence methods
SALARY AND PACKAGE:
The salary will be highly competitive and commensurate with qualifications/experience. The package includes pension, eligibility for private medical cover and flexible working in our offices in central Richmond.
We also have regular social events for the whole team, recently including; golf, track cycling, curling, and go-karting to name a few.
Professional institution membership will also be funded, as will the professional development you require to meet your objectives.
Please send us your CV along with a covering letter to Angela Cappa, Office Manager- email@example.com or via the website, detailing why you would work for Metis and what makes you a great fit for this role.
Applicants that do not include a personal cover letter will not be considered.