Following a series of flooding incidents in the Birches Industrial Estate in East Grinstead, Metis were commissioned to investigate the causes of the flooding, undertake options appraisal and detailed design of a preferred option, before leading the procurement phase and contract administration during construction.
- Undertake Flood Risk Mitigation Assessment to understand flood risk from a variety of sources.
- Procure and supervise site surveys to inform the design.
- Build a detailed hydraulic model of the existing network, and model suspected blockages/breakages in the system to confirm the flood mechanism.
- Undertake an options appraisal phase to assess the effectiveness of a series of options.
- Select preferred option providing client with robust design and value for money, produce detailed design package for construction.
- Lead on procurement to select suitable contractor for works.
- Provide site support to ensure works constructed as per design.
Through this ongoing support, Royal London has:
- A set of construction drawings and specification items for a cost-effective flood mitigation solution.
- A better understanding of maintenance requirements for the existing drainage networks, and of potential problem areas in the future.
- Better confidence that units are not at risk of flooding during significant storm events.
- Recommended actions to maintain and operate the existing drainage infrastructure including storage tank and pumping station.