The park originally flooded after heavy rainfall causing damage to residential properties around and downstream of the park. Metis gained funding for and designed the Newton Park West Flood Storage Area and River Restoration Scheme.
- Working closely with Harrow Council to complete a gap analysis to understand the flood causes and then provide technical advice accordingly.
- Preparing project case to gain appropriate funding for scheme.
- Assessment of the existing flood mitigation performance within and around the park.
- After evaluation, developing SuDS features such as wetlands to reduce risk of flooding and restore the natural environment.
Through this design, Harrow received:
- Prepared the Outline Business Case that was successful in allocation of approximately £300k of capital funding by the Environment Agency and the Thames Region Flood and Coastal Committee to deliver the project.
- Concept design of wetlands which could cope with large amount of rainfall and provide significant water quality improvements to The Roxbourne Brook.
- Detailed design of proposed SuDS features.
- Support in the construction work through design of flow control structures and setting the final water levels for the wetlands.